5. Do not talk or make a noise behind the mat when a player is about to deliver a bowl.
6. Remain behind the mat or behind the head when it is not your turn to play. Standing in front of the jack distracts the bowler on the mat. Always remember that as soon as your bowl comes to rest, possession of the mat passes to your opponent.
7. Keep to your own rink. Do not wander and distract other bowlers. Walk down the centre of your rink when you are changing ends.
8. On sunny days be aware of your shadow. Do not let it mask the jack nor permit it to fall in front of the mat when a player is about to bowl.
9. Try to avoid obscuring boundary pegs, rink plates or rink markers.
10. SKIPS - PLEASE DO NOT STAND IMMEDIATELY BEHIND THE JACK.
11. Do not walk past the end of a rink if someone is on the mat at the other end. Stand still until the bowl has been delivered.
12. Warn the players at the other end if you are about to play a drive or ‘fire’.
13. Move well back from the head when a player drives or ‘fires’ and warn others on adjacent rinks.
14. Help gather the bowls after each end. Don’t leave it all to the lead and their pusher.
15. Pick up the mat when your opponent has delivered the final wood of the end.
16. Never criticise your opponent, the greens or your own team members. If you cannot say something positive, don't speak.
17. Pay attention to the game. Nothing can be more frustrating for your team if they feel you are not interested in the game.
18. Always appear to be enjoying the game.
19. Greet your own team and opponents at the start of the game and congratulate or compliment them at the end of play. Shaking hands before and after a game is part of the tradition of the game.
20. Learn the Laws of the game and abide by them.
21. Be a gracious winner and a good loser.
22. Basically, use common sense and courtesy.
SPONSORED BY MARSTON'S
Purley Bowls Club The Ridge, Purley, Surrey CR8 3PF UK Tel: (020) 8660 0608